Saturday, May 21, 2011

Baseketball

I considered myself a fairly athletic male.  I was competitive and loved to play all sorts of sports.  This all came to a screeching halt on Friday.  See I have never played a game of basketball in my life (a sad truth, and one of my many short comings), and for some reason I agreed to play with a bunch of people that I had recently met.  They all said they weren't very good so I figured/hoped I wouldn't stick out too much.  I was wrong, dead wrong.  I would compare the experience to a Texan on a double black, a blind man playing baseball, or a quadriplegic UFC fighter.  Too say the least, it was awful.  Nearly every time I got the ball I immediately passed or got the ball stolen attempting to dribble.  Every offensive possession I ran around like a chicken with its head cut off.  I thought I would have at least been able to play defense but I had no idea how rough I could be so I ended up taking multiple elbows in the chest and getting pushed around as if I were on ice.  The game was one of the worst sporting experiences of my life and was just the kind of impression I wanted to give to the new group.  The one highlight came when I pulled up (meaning came to a dead stop and shot) for a five foot jumper that I actually made.  A flicker of hope that was immediately extinguished the next time my team was forced to pass the ball to the 12 year old running around in a bulky knee brace.  I think this was the first and last time I ever try to play a game of basketball.  Its been real, but I guess some things aren't meant to be.

As I trudged away from the gym with my head held low, I was passed by a gang of about six uni students........on razor scooters.  "Maybe they are more of the type of athletes I should be associating with at this point," I thought to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment