Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sydney: One of fives cities that Americans have actually heard of

Chinese Market- It truly was a blur
Sydney Harbor Bridge
Opera House
City of Sydney from Opera House
14er Tribute
Interesting Floats




As I nearly ate shit walking off the bus I looked up and my jaw dropped.  The Sydney harbor bridge is freaking huge. Being from Colorado I never see water let alone a civil engineering marvel.  It was surrounded by huge cruise ships, millionaire yachts, and even a pirate ship kind of boat.  All around were restaurants with menus that had way too many numbers in a row.  There is some serious money out there.  We walked along the harbor wide-eyed and smiling and then it happened again.  My buddy Wado bumped me and pointed to the right as we rounded a corner.  Oh no big deal it was just the Sydney Opera House, one of the most recognizable buildings in the world.  It really is something to see.  From all the pictures I have seen I expected it to be sails or something like DIA.  When I got close I realized its just white tiles, well kind of yellowish tiles.  It's still a spectacular sight.  A must see for all.

Before all this we were in a market that was full of random souvenirs.  Aisle after aisle of repeated clothes and gadgets.  It was a maze that led to an empty wallet at the end.  I wouldn't recommend it unless you really have money to burn.

The real reason we went to Sydney was for the annual Mardi Gras celebration.  Boy was it worth it.  Through the hordes of people, the barricades on every street, the policeman on horses, and parade to beat, we found ourselves right on the rails with our legs worn out and our Australians concerned.  However, when that parade rounded the corner, there was nothing but smiles.  The music was blasting, people were dancing, and clothes were worn minimally.  The happiness was infectious.  To see people being who they really are with no hesitation is amazing.  I only wish it could always be that way.  This Mardi Gras was about gay pride and people in their true form, unlike the drunken American version.  There was everything from old ladies in wheel chairs to children in strollers out supporting their gay brothers, sisters, moms, dads, and most importantly, their own sexual orientation.  The parade was amazing and I swear all of Sydney was out there watching and cheering.  I'll admit I was tired and irritated up until that point.  We had wandered around half the city to find a spot where we weren't ten rows of people back.  But 10 seconds after the parade had started, all was forgotten.  It was an experience to remember.  Thanks to everyone for making my first real trip to Sydney unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment