Wednesday, March 9, 2011

To Cairns and Beyond!

Yesterday I booked my first trip in Australia.  For spring break marcus, sarah, elise, and myself are headed to the lovely city of Cairns to get our own look at the mystical Great Barrier Reef.  It's funny but when I ask Australians if they have been to the reef they all respond by asking, "What reef?"  I guess there is more than one.  Stupid Americans.  Guess I figured the biggest one in the world (to my knowledge) would just be called the reef.  On our trip we are staying at Gilligans, which will be my first hostel experience.  The rooms are conveniently located above the hostel night club.  Can't wait.  We fly out on Monday, April 11th, check into the hostel, party it up for the evening, then get on a yacht the next day.  We will spend two days snorkeling various parts of the reef and spend a night on the boat.  Sadly, scuba diving fell through due to insufficient funds (mac books break way too much).  After the boat we have two days to do whatever we want.  I will be spending one of those bungee jumping for sure.  I'll post the video of me screaming like a girl the first chance I get.  Other than that we will be exploring the city, checking out whatever other fun (dangerous) things there are to do.  Let me know if anyone has any recommendations.  

Another piece of bad news is that I don't think I will be making the trip to New Zealand.  Everyone has already gone or has trips planned and I don't want to go by myself.  Oh yeah, there was also that earthquake that leveled the city I planned on flying into.  Guess fate may have played a part.  This also means I will be looking for participants to join me on my trip there in the future.  Any takers?

Now when I decided to skip on New Zealand I asked myself what is something else I need to do while I'm in this wonderful country.  I need something that will fulfill my need for adrenaline, something that is not offered in America, and something that will really piss off my mother.  Then the light bulb went off and my inner child came knocking.  What was something I loved as a kid.....sharks, and what is the greatest shark of them all?  No not a whale shark, a fucking great white shark.  And would you know it? Down off the Eyre Peninsula you can cage dive with great whites.  Hell ya I'm in.  Sorry mom, but I'm a wild child and I need a new story to tell.  What's up great whites?  Dinner will soon be served....

No comments:

Post a Comment